Chinese New Year is February 7 and it's the Year of the Rat! I went to Chinatown with a friend to check out the beginning of the festivities. We had jin dui, which is a Chinese doughnut, and a new year tradition. They were making them right there, outside under a tent. Filled with coconut and rolled in sesame seeds, they were good (they also had available filled with black sugar). A few weeks ago Jon and I were at a Chinese restaurant and noticed Shark Fin Soup on the menu, a bowl was $36! I'd heard of Shark Fin soup but had no idea it was so expensive. So when we were in Chinatown, there was a sign for Shark Fin soup, so I went in and asked about it. They were selling it by the can, for $50!! For a can of soup! I doubt we'll ever want to splurge and try it.
Winter time here in Hawaii, it is snowing on Maui and the Big Island! Haleakala, on Maiu where we went for the sunrise (10,000 ft), has been closed due to of road conditions! What an amazing place this is!
2 comments:
oh that is crazy. And if it snows in HI while Lauren and Jenell are there - that would be even wilder!
You didn't try the black sugar doughnut? I would've had to try that. But not the shark fin soup. I've had shark before but not the fin. Can't imagine that it is worth $50.
Have a BLAST this next week!
Oh gosh - shark fin soup makes my stomach hurt! Can't believe it's snowing in Hawaii.. Dallas hasn't even had any yet! Sounds like you have lots of visitors coming soon - have fun!!
Post a Comment